SEC. 3222. RESEARCH.
- (a) ADMINISTRATION- The Secretary shall conduct research activities authorized by this subpart through the Office of Educational Research and Improvement in coordination and collaboration with the Office of English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement for Limited English Proficient Students.
- (b) REQUIREMENTS- Such research activities —
- (1) shall have a practical application to teachers, counselors, paraprofessionals, school administrators, parents, and others involved in improving the education of limited English proficient children and their families;
- (2) may include research on effective instruction practices for multilingual classes, and on effective instruction strategies to be used by a teacher or other staff member who does not know the native language of a limited English proficient child in the teachers or staff members classroom;
- (3) may include establishing (through the National Center for Education Statistics in consultation with experts in second language acquisition and scientifically based research on teaching limited English proficient children) a common definition of limited English proficient child for purposes of national data collection; and
- (4) shall be administered by individuals with expertise in second language acquisition, scientifically based research on teaching limited English proficient children, and the needs of limited English proficient children and their families.
- (c) FIELD-INITIATED RESEARCH-
- (1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall reserve not less than 5 percent of the funds made available to carry out this section for field-initiated research conducted by recipients of grants under subpart 1 or this subpart who have received such grants within the previous 5 years. Such research may provide for longitudinal studies of limited English proficient children or teachers who serve such children, monitoring the education of such children from entry into language instruction educational programs through secondary school completion.
- (2) APPLICATIONS- An applicant for assistance under this subsection may submit an application for such assistance to the Secretary at the same time as the applicant submits another application under subpart 1 or this subpart. The Secretary shall complete a review of such applications on a timely basis to allow the activities carried out under research and program grants to be coordinated when recipients are awarded two or more of such grants.
- (d) CONSULTATION- The Secretary shall consult with agencies, organizations, and individuals that are engaged in research and practice on the education of limited English proficient children, language instruction educational programs, or related research, to identify areas of study and activities to be funded under this section.
- (e) DATA COLLECTION- The Secretary shall provide for the collection of data on limited English proficient children as part of the data systems operated by the Department.